Wednesday 16 December 2009

Optimism justified!













Well just look at that - Billy Boy has a headcollar on. I knew Paul was trying to get this far as he has been disappearing very often to have another little session. I didn't go to watch as BB is still more relaxed when it's just Paul and him.

BB has been here 7 weeks. He is an Exmoor stallion - branded, semi-feral, and until he came to us, unhandleable and very frightened of humans.

Paul says "I did some work with him with a rope on the neck strap, (which BB had on overnight after it was put on yesterday) doing gentle pressure and release. Then I felt that I could try the headcollar. The fact that he allowed me to touch his forehead last night seemed promising. I put the noseband over his muzzle, took it off again, put it on again - he didn't mind. I still had the rope on the neck strap so if he backed away I could still do 'p and r' to get him back close. I used my left hand on the headpiece of the headcollar to put it up behind his ear and over his neck. He wasn't very keen, backed away and it fell off his nose twice but the 3rd time he accepted it. I feel as if he knew it was inevitable. He is worried about hands on top of his neck, on his crest. Anyway we go with whatever's offered and I have put headcollars on for the first time in many different ways and even inside out".

Paul has removed the headcollar for the night. Billy Boy still has the neck strap on.

To send a message or ask a question, please click on the 'comments' link below

1 comment:

Margaret H said...

That is super news. Well done Paul and BB. I am really looking forward to next Wednesday!