Thursday 11 November 2010

Mousey's still with us and doing well

A couple of nice pictures of Mousey with Gill and Margaret taken over the last two weeks. She copes well with our volunteers doing a bit of gentle and rhythmical grooming, so we are pushing the boundaries a bit in this respect.

I am really chuffed to have headcollared her whilst wearing strange clothing (yes, I know, all my clothes are strange!)

The first time was in the morning, so she was in her stable. It was cold and wet so I had on a rustle-y waterproof jacket on and, feeling a bit under the weather with a cold, I was reluctant to take it off. So I
thought, well, if I can't do it I'll get Paul to headcollar her. There was no hurry anyway. (Which, of course, there should never be). I just kept on, doing advance and retreat to her face and neck, until she allowed my hand, with the unfamiliar sleeve, to rest on her forehead. Then smoothly down and under her chin to maintain the contact while I slipped the noseband over her muzzle.

Then this afternoon getting her in from the field with a strong wind blowing, I had a different coat on with larger cuffs - I was quite prepared to take it off but thought I would try the same technique first, and it worked really well. I had to push the cuffs up a bit as she would have spooked if they had touched her face.




To send a message or ask a question,
please click on the 'comments' link below


No comments: